Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Grandfather smitten by young widow

HE is 97 and lonely.


So when Yong Chai Keng sent his eyes on a photograph of Tan Yi Huan, who is almost three times younger than him, the father 11 fell in love.

Yong is so fond of this 38-year-old widow that he had penned down his feelings on a piece of paper.


But the content of the letter will remain his secret as he was unwilling to share it with anyone.


Yesterday, the grandfather from Raub poured his heart out to MCA Public Services and Complaint Department head Datuk Michael Chong.

It's love at first sight and he wants to marry her, he told Chong.

Tan's picture appeared in a Chinese newspaper which highlighted her plight after her husband died last year.


She had appealed for financial aid.


"It's my duty to help her," Yong said, asking Chong to play matchmaker.
Yesterday was the second time Yong had called on Chong with the same request.

"He came to my office on May 4 asking me to arrange the marriage. I thought he was joking," said Chong.


But yesterday he realised that Yong was serious.


Yong's wife died last year and he confided in Chong that he was lonely and needed someone by his side.


"I read about Tan in a Chinese newspaper and my heart goes out to her as she has no one to care for her.


"Someone had suggested that I go to MCA if I wanted to marry Tan. I love her and I promise to take good care of her an her children," said Yong.


According to the newspaper report, Tan is staying with her sister in Puchong since her husband's death. She has two children, aged eight and three.


But Chong felt that Yong was not made for Tan.


"I think it is not a good match but I will leave it up to him to decide.


"It's up to the woman to respond or not. I'm doing him a favour," said Chong.


Source: The Malay Mail newspaper

No comments: